Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Operation goodbye green tile

Wouldn't it be nice to have a tub like this? 

Tubs | Restoration Hardware Palais pedestal tub and tub fill with handheld shower

Ohhhhh.
Or one like this? 

remodelista - clawfoot tub and beadboard

Ahhhhh.
Well in our master bathroom, we don't have either of those. Ha!
We have this one.


Don't get me wrong.
 I am very grateful to have a master bathroom (I grew up in a house with one full bath).
And it is nice to have such a spacious tub 
(I haven't used it yet but our dog Rosie has and she tells me it's lovely). 


But to be honest, I'm not crazy about the green tile.
So when I came across this blog post, I decided to give it a try and paint it.
And to be honest, it was a really easy project.


First, I bought this kit at Home Depot for less than $40.
It came with a solution to prep the surface, the paint, and rubber gloves.


After I wiped down the tile with the solution that came in the box, I taped off the parts I wanted to paint.


Then, I painted on the first coat.


A couple hours later I applied the second coat.


The bigger green tiles required more coats.


I think I did a total of four coats for this section which seems like a lot and tedious but it wasn't.
Spray painting the guest bathroom was way more annoying!


Here's how it all turned out:







One more look at the before & after:



Oh, and in case your wondering if I am planning on spray painting the gold faucets, my answer is no. 
Unlike the gold fixtures that were in the guest bathroom, these are in much better condition. While they wouldn't be my first choice (or second), they aren't tarnished or showing age. So, we are embracing the gold (for now) until it is time for a real bathroom re-do.

A couple of tips & reminders if you are planning on doing this yourself...

Open the windows, wear a face mask, and turn on a fan if you have one. 
This stuff has some serious fumes. Save your brain cells and ventilate the area.

Read the directions.
The paint kit gives very specific directions as to what type of paintbrush to use, how long to wait in between coats, etc. For optimal results, it is a good idea to follow the direction carefully.

Next up for this bathroom is painting (of the walls).
More. Painting. Joy.
Can you read my enthusiasm?

:)
-Caitlin


2 comments:

I appreciate all of your comments! If you have a question, I'll get back to you as soon as possible.