Saturday, July 20, 2013

Finally feeling like a family room

Off of our kitchen is what we have been calling our family room. Or is it the living room? 
I've never really understood the difference.
Anyway, this is what it looked like when we moved in:


Up until recently, all I had really done was paint the room.


Originally, it a light yellow. 
The color we chose was Benjamin Moore's Moonshine (far right):


This past week though, the family room finally came together.


Instead of running out and spending our money on new stuff (tempting), 
we tried to decorate first with what we already have.


95% of the items in this room are things we already owned.
The other 5% came from my parents, who are doing a total purge of their house.
Works out nicely for us!



This window was a garage sale find and was previously hanging above the guest bed in our last place.







I took this St. Andrews print (found at a garage sale) to Michaels and had it framed.
You can bet that the framing cost way more than the print did!


These Pottery Barn chairs are from a garage sale too!



This ottoman and tray are among the 5% from my parents. 
Thanks mom & dad!



We were lucky to have the blinds and cushions come with the purchase of the house.





So, what is left to do?
Well, one of the walls is entirely blank. 
I don't know what kind of furniture I can put there without it being in the way. 
I could hang a large piece of art (that I don't have) or do a collage of photos.
Whatever I decide to do, I am okay with leaving it bare like this for now.


Below is me just having fun with the colors and textures of the room.
I wasn't planning on doing a blue/green/neutral look but it happened to come together that way.
It is kind of cool to see it put together in a palette like this.



When we do change up this room (with new things), I want to try to make it a tad more masculine for Chris' sake. 

When you decorate a room, do you have a color palette in mind? 
What are some more masculine colors you decorate with?
Love to hear your thoughts!

- Caitlin

3 comments:

  1. I tend to always lean towards grays, blues, greens and any off shade of white. Since we just moved into a new house, I'm going to try and step out of that pattern for at least one room! I've always loved the idea of a Navy room, but painting dark colors really scares me. Maybe just an accent wall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love those colors and always tend to decorate with them. I did navy in the finished attic of our last place, I love it! Yeah, try an accent wall. Can't wait to see YOUR place!

      Delete
  2. I can't believe that you scored those chairs at a garage sale! They are awesome! Who would want to give them away?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all of your comments! If you have a question, I'll get back to you as soon as possible.