Monday, September 15, 2014

Figuring out the family room

About a month ago, I shared our plan to refresh our family room by selling all of the stuff we felt "eh" about (which was practically everything) and starting new.

We were left with this (a whole lot of nothing):




The room is still looking like that today but some plans are in the works.

As I did with our master bedroom and Charlie's nursery, I've created a mood board to help figure out my vision for the family room:


I don't horseback ride or live on a farm, but lately I've been loving horse paintings like the one in this picture below:

Rachel Halvorson Designs

So, I found these two affordable versions below and hope to use something like them in the room above the fireplace:



We will need some throw pillows on the couch but I'm considering buying fabric by the yard and sewing them into pillow covers:



We already purchased this couch during one of Pottery Barn's upholstery sales.
It felt very weird to buy a couch in a store versus finding one secondhand but there's a first time for everything!
I can't wait to plop down on the chaise in front of the fire this winter.
Sounds cozy, doesn't it?


6. rug

This coffee table is another piece we already have. It was a floor model marked down almost 50%. Buying floor models like we did with our kitchen table is a great way to save some money.


An armchair similar to the one below is another item we already have for this room. We picked up ours from a garage sale for just $150!



I'm really looking forward to getting this room started this fall and will share the progress.

- Caitlin

3 comments:

  1. I have been looking at horse prints just like that! That one is super perfect. Might have to steal the idea from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very different for u but im liking it. maybe u will take up horse riding with charlie now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of your gorgeous ideas. Can't wait to see your plans for the room come together.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all of your comments! If you have a question, I'll get back to you as soon as possible.