If you've been following along, then you know I've been plugging away at getting a playroom ready for our son Charlie (just see here, here, and here):
The latest that I've done in here was adding bamboo blinds to the four bare-looking windows.
I decided to go with the same bamboo blinds that I used in our master bedroom, just in a slightly lighter color.
However, there was one small issue when it came time to order the blinds.
I wanted to mount them on the inside of the windows and ours measure about 22" wide but the smallest width they come in are 23".
Annoying but that didn't stop me.
I did a little searching around on Pinterest and came across posts like this one, this one, and this one in which people trimmed their blinds to fit their windows using all different methods (like miter boxes, hand saws, and even scissors).
I figured I would give it a try.
At $15 a blind, if it didn't work, it wasn't a huge loss.
So, Chris and I did the following to make these blinds fit
(I apologize, I dropped the ball and don't have pictures to show each step):
1. First, we wrapped the blinds really tight and secured the bundle with painter's tape.
2. Using his table saw and wearing protective goggles (safety first), Chris trimmed a half inch off each side making sure he didn't cut any of the strings.
And that's it!
Here they are hung up in the playroom:
Now if you look up close, they're not perfect.
There's a little bit of splintering of the wood which doesn't bother me but Chris (who is more meticulous than I) suggested I just touch up the ends with some stain or furniture marker.
If you are hanging drapes on each side, then the splintering really wouldn't be a problem because the window treatments would cover the ends.
Thanks to a coupon code and a free shipping promo, I was able to do all four windows in the playroom for about $45!
I don't think it gets any more affordable!
Have a great weekend,