Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Project nursery: the blueprints

Thank goodness for Pinterest!
Over these last 6 months, I have been able to keep my nursery ideas organized while preparing for baby's arrival.
Below is a collage to give an idea of what the nursery will look like:


(From top, left to right)

I think this pendant light, a gift from some family members (thank you!), will make a statement when you walk into the nursery. It also helps that we have an electrician in the family that will install it for free. Well...maybe for a six pack. 

We aren't building a changing table from scratch like this Ana White one but we are turning a piece of furniture that we already have (which looks very similar to the one pictured above) into one. All we need to do is paint it (it is currently green), change some of the hardware, and have Chris build a changing topper. Piece of cake.

I don't want the nursery to be overly nautical, but I think one or two statement pieces like this whale art will look great. The Restoration Hardware one is a little pricey and is actually too large for the space where we would hang it. So, I am contemplating purchasing this less expensive version from Etsy. They look so similar!

We got this thanks to a family member that split the cost with us and a sale that was going on at the time! It shipped so quick and the delivery guys even assembled it. It appears to be sold out in white but is available and on sale here in gray.

I found this fabric from Calico Corners and I'm considering having my mom (aka Patti the pillow maker) make window treatments in this style for the nursery.

Rocker:
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who has become frustrated finding a rocker that a) is reasonably priced and b) not hideous. So, when my cousin showed me this blog post on how to turn an armchair into a swivel rocker, I got super excited. We already own the Ikea Ektorb chair with a white slipcover and have since ordered the parts to turn it into a swivel rocker. I can't wait to try this project out and share it with you!

Crib skirt:
I'm a sucker for ticking stripe anything and have chosen this crib skirt for the nursery. A family member has since purchased it for us (thank you!) and it looks great with the antique-style crib.

Knit cotton pouf:
Also a gift, we are going to use this pouf instead of a traditional ottoman to go with our DIY swivel rocker.


I can't wait to get this room started and share it with you!

Happy hump day :)
- Caitlin

2 comments:

  1. Love all of it! Can't wait to see how the rocker turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Yay for no bumpers! Baby safety! :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all of your comments! If you have a question, I'll get back to you as soon as possible.