Monday, April 14, 2014

The best things in life are free (and come from the beach)

There's no denying my decorating style has a little bit of a beachy flair to it (just look at our nursery).
I try to keep it to a minimum in our house as we don't exactly live at the beach (it's about 15 minutes away), but touches of it sneak out here and there.

Driftwood is one way to add a rustic beach vibe to the home and the best part is that it's free!
Just take a stroll along the beach and you'll probably find some really cool looking aged wood that can be used in all different creative ways.

Just add hooks and a piece of driftwood can become a coat/key/hat rack:

Etsy

Simply prop up some driftwood against a wall to add some rustic interest in a room:

source unknown

It can also be turned into a clothes hanger like in this nursery:

The Happy Home

You could even do this DIY project and turn driftwood into candle holders:

The Gold Jelly Bean

In our home, I've hung this piece of driftwood above the built-ins in our kitchen nook. It came from a weekend Chris and I spent at the beach in Montauk, NY with my parents a couple of years ago.





Check out how my friend Tara (whose awesome apartment I have posted about here) turned a piece of driftwood into a necklace holder that I shared on Instagram:


 Unlike me, she actually lives not by the beach but ON the beach.
Lucky duck!

Hope you are able to enjoy this beach-like weather we are getting today in the Northeast!
- Caitlin

2 comments:

  1. My dad has always loved collecting driftwood, and we have some really cool stuff around the house like these finds!

    x Lily
    http://whilemyboyfriendsaway.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to do this with my necklaces like Tara! love it. will be on the hunt for a nice piece!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all of your comments! If you have a question, I'll get back to you as soon as possible.